Each fall our staff performs several basic tasks to promote turf recovery after a busy summer golf schedule and in preparation of the fall golf season. Additionally these practices prepare the course for the onslaught of New England’s winter weather. Aeration, fertilization, soil tests and liming requirements are all vital components to a sound agronomic program. For all you DYI lawn care enthusiasts, now is the most important time to fertilize your home lawns.
In an earlier article I outlined a simple and effective program. Step 4 of that program suggests fertilizing your lawn with a 50% slowly available nitrogen source. A 1/2 lb. of (N)nitrogen/1000 sq.ft is sufficient this time of year. By fertilizing late in the season you’ll encourage your lawns to store carbohydrate reserves for a long winter and healthy start for the 2018 season. Couple this approach with raising your lawns mowing height will greatly enhance the overall health of your home lawns. Don’t wait too much longer for this application, the turfgrass needs the time and seasonable temperature to accumulate those carbs.
Over the next several weeks our staff will be concentrating on fall cleanup and sod installation projects. October’s unusually mild weather has delayed this falls leaf drop considerably throughout the region and extended turf growth. I’d anticipate a vast majority of the leaves to fall in the next 7-10 days with a heavy rain event or a few hard frosts. At which time we’ll address fall clean up in earnest. We’ll simultaneously be addressing areas that need to be replaced with sod in select areas.
This time of year it’s nearly impossible to control the amount of water in the greens profile. This in itself leads to soft playing conditions that are easily damaged by ball marks and divots. Improperly repaired ball marks are the leading cause of Poa infestation in our greens. One item that everyone can help us with is the proper repair of ball marks and divot replacement. Below please find the link to a 4 question quiz from the USGA on ball marks and proper repair methods.
Any course suggestions or comments for consideration are always welcomed.
Golf Course Superintendent
Andover Country Club held it’s annual Fall Classic Golf Tournament the weekend of September 23-24, 2017. The tournament consisted of 27 holes of golf, breakfast, lunch, and a cocktail hour with hors d’oeuvres. We’d like to thank all our members and guests who participated!
Interested in a Golf Membership at Andover Country Club? Get in touch!
Winter Wedding Packages Starting at $57pp*
Dreaming of a New England Winter wedding? Winter weddings at Andover Country Club are magical, romantic, and, most importantly, budget friendly! With our specially designed menu packages for the Winter season, Andover Country Club can make your vision a reality.
With indoor ceremony space, 3 classic ballrooms with panoramic golf course views, indoor and outdoor photography opportunities, and 24 overnight hotel accommodations, Andover Country Club is the perfect place to plan your entire Winter wedding weekend.
Winter Wedding packages are available for January, February, & March dates.
Complimentary Menu Tasting for 2 at Our Grand Tasting
Personal Wedding Coordinator
Displayed Hors D’oeuvres
4 Course Meal with Choice of 2 Entrées
Champagne or Sparkling Cider Toast
Wedding Cake from I Dream of Jeanne Cakes
Table Linens – White or Ivory
3 Table Votives
Complimentary Honeymoon Hotel Room on Wedding Night
Click here to view our Winter Wedding packages
Just said yes? Contact us to learn more about celebrating your big day at Andover Country Club!
* All prices are subject to 12% service charge, 8% ECF, 6.25% state and .75% local meals tax. Prices effective 7/26/17. Prices & menu items subject to change. **L.E.D lights not available in Trumpeters Room.
Are you a bride searching for the perfect gift for your bridesmaids? Here’s our list of the top bridesmaid gifts for the 2017 wedding season:
- On your big day, you and your bridesmaids want to get ready in style. A chic robe or nightshirt is the perfect gift for your maids. Not only will they be comfortable while getting their hair and makeup done, robes create a perfect photo op. We love these robes and nightshirts! They can even be monogrammed!
- Wearing heels all day is going to kill your bridesmaids’ feet. By the time they’re ready to dance, they’ll also be ready to take those heels off! These flats are perfect for them to change into after the ceremony and pictures.
- What better way for your bridesmaids to remember the day then a new piece of jewelry? Whether it’s a pair of earrings for them to wear on the big day or its one of these adorable Kate Spade Idiom Bangles, you can’t go wrong.
- You never know when you or one of your bridesmaids will have a mishap, so we suggest gifting these adorable Minimergency Kits. With 17 pieces, including double sided tape, hairspray, stain remover, and a safety pin, you can’t go wrong with this kit.
- A super fun way to let your bridesmaids know that you appreciate them is with this bottle of Pink Gin. Not into liquor? We also love these personalized wine bottles!
- You and your bridesmaids will want to capture every moment from the time you start getting ready, until the end of the night. These disposable cameras are an awesome way for your bridal party to capture your big day. You and your bridesmaids will end up with a ton of great candid shots you’ll will treasure forever.
- Mini champagne bottles are a super cute way to start off the day and are completely adorable. Tie a fun straw on with some ribbon or supply some orange juice for a much needed mimosa while you are all getting ready.
Still searching for the perfect wedding venue just outside Boston? Contact us today about hosting your wedding at Andover Country Club!